At Cortek Framing, we produce a comprehensive range of steel framing solutions, including high-quality steel floor joists for all types of buildings. With the highest strength to weight ratio of any material used in construction, our steel joists are up to 50% lighter than timber — making them the most convenient option for modern builders.
Steel floor systems engineered to meet your specific needs
All of our steel floor joists are created in our Melbourne manufacturing facility and delivered directly to clients’ sites with the necessary documentation and 3D models. Thanks to our efficient manufacturing process, we are able to offer fast turnaround times for custom floor systems engineered to meet your specific requirements. No matter what type of construction project you are planning, we can create a steel floor system that will help to reduce the overall construction time and avoid issues that are associated with the use of wooden frames in Australian buildings.
Fully compliant steel floor joists
We test all of the sections and connections in an accredited laboratory to ensure their full compliance with Australian building codes. We have years of experience in the manufacturing of steel floor systems for buildings in both cyclonic and non-cyclonic areas. Whatever your particular requirements, Cortek Framing can provide a steel frame solution that meets them in full and ensure complete compliance with all relevant standards and industry guidelines.
Our steel frame floor design and fabrication process
We are able to ensure that every solution we deliver meets the needs of our customers by following a highly effective design and fabrication process.
- Gathering requirements — The first job is to familiarise ourselves with your requirements, which we do by arranging a consultation with our team of steel frame engineering specialists. During the initial consultation, we will discuss every aspect of your project and recommend a solution that fits your needs and your budget.
- Detailed design — After the initial consultation, we will produce detailed 3D designs and layout plans for your steel floor solution. These plans also include fixing locations and all the other details you require.
- Review and approval — At this stage, you will have received all the plans and documentation for your custom steel floor solution, so you can review them at your leisure. Once approved, we can move on to the next stage.
- Manufacturing — Next, we will manufacture your steel floor joists in accordance with the finalised plans. Our fabrication team is comprised of experienced professionals who are used to working to meet tight deadlines and following exacting specifications. This has allowed us to ensure the success of every project we work on.
By paying close attention to what our customers tell us and by following a detailed, proven design and fabrication process, we deliver high-quality solutions that meet all of your requirements.
Installation of steel floor systems
Supplied with all the necessary documentation, including full layout plans and extensive 3D models, our steel floor systems can easily be installed by a competent team. If you do not have the right personnel for the job, we can recommend a local installer who can carry out the installation work quickly and efficiently.
The advantages of steel floor joists
If you are not sure whether a steel flooring solution is the right choice for your project, consider the advantages that steel has to offer:
- Strength to weight ratio — By using steel floor joists, you can significantly reduce the weight of your building frame, without compromising its load-bearing capacity. For applications where an exceptionally heavy load needs to be supported, steel joists offer the most convenient and most cost-effective solution.
- Resistance to mould, damp and pests — Unlike timber joists, steel joists are not affected by damp or mould, which makes them a great choice for basements and other areas where moisture can be a potential problem. They are also impervious to all pests so there is no need to treat them with chemicals or to install physical barriers designed to stop termites and borers.
- No unwanted noise — Over time, wooden joists expand and contract with the changes in temperature and humidity. This can lead to loose bolts in the flooring support system and is the reason that you often hear creaks and squeaks when walking on floors in wood-frame buildings. By using steel joists, you can ensure that the buildings you construct will suffer no such problems in the future.
- A sustainable solution — Much of the steel used in construction is recycled, making it a more environmentally friendly option than wood. Far less steel ends up in landfills than wood so if you are trying to improve your environmental credentials, steel is an excellent choice for floor joists.
- Precise, uniform joists — Because our steel joists are roll-formed into precise shapes for exacting tolerances, there is no need for your team to inspect and sort them when they arrive on site. Every joist will be fit for purpose and, with no culling process to complete, you will be able to install them faster and more efficiently. When you are working to a tight schedule, every minute you can save on-site is valuable. Steel floor joists will help you to save a considerable amount of time on every building project you undertake.
- Fire resistance — Steel is non-combustible, which means it won’t add fuel to a potential fire. This makes it a safer choice than wood for all types of joists.
More information about our steel flooring solutions
If you would like to find out more about our steel flooring solutions and how we can help you with your next project, please contact us by phone or email. We will be very happy to provide you with all the details you need and organise a full consultation if you would like to discuss your project with our team.